Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Beginnings!

Just when I was beginning to get used to writing the date "2011," Father Time pulled a fast one on me and I have to get used to the idea of it being 2012. It'll be July before I have it down. Ah, well, Happy New Year, everyone!

Likewise, just when I was beginning to get used to having a student's lifestyle forever (I went to Rutgers for two years prior to Pratt), I graduated. After seven semesters at Pratt Institute, my seemingly endless career as an "art student" finally came to a close just in time for the New Year. For most, graduating is both exciting and terrifying. And leaving the school you thought you had come to resent is actually a lot more difficult once you realize just how much you truly loved it. In the beginning, graduating in December for me was peculiar, because I felt a bit like I was in limbo: I was a man without a country. I had my first senior semester in Spring 2011, and my final senior semester in Fall 2011. I soon realized, though, that it was more like having dual citizenship: the best of both worlds. I had come to know and befriend the seniors of both 2011 and 2012. Not only that, but ending school in December means that you have up until January 1st to unpack and unwind. You have time to get your s**t together. It's easier to hit the ground running. Which is exactly what I plan on doing. Here's to 2012.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment