Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Great Big Storm


The Great Big Storm, indeed. When I wrote this book and made the dummy last year, the effects from Hurricane Irene were still very fresh in my mind. A lot of my friends, family, and collegues were hit hard. I was inspired by the way communities came together to rebuild, and it was refreshing to see that among devastation, there was also hope.

Sandy brought on even more devastation this year (I guess she didn't want to be outdone by last October's snowstorm). My family and I were very lucky. We didn't have power for several days, but we had good running water and a gas stove...not to mention about twenty pumpkin scented candles.

Some people lost more, others lost a lot more, and then there were those who lost everything.

And yet we see communities coming together, we see politicians (at least in the tri-state area) truly not caring about politics even though it's so close to Election Day. Before we get back to normalcy, there is a part of me that cherishes the aftermath. Not the fallen-trees-and-live-wires-and-smashed-roofs part, but the part where time stands still enough for people to remember what is truly important.






No comments:

Post a Comment