Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Revisiting my Sketchbook

I love the SCBWI "Insight" monthly emails. My favorite component is the "Draw This!" word prompt, in which a single word is provided at the beginning of the month, and we are invited to submit our prompt-inspired illustration (by a deadline, of course).

Sometimes I submit, and sometimes I don't, but I always use the word prompt to create new ideas in my sketchbook. The first ever "Draw This!" prompt was "BOUNCE." I actually wound up not submitting a piece for this. However, while I was sketching, I kept coming back to this idea that I just couldn't work out at the time, but knew I would revisit it later. These were some of the sketches:

The initial sketch

Sketches upon revisiting the idea

I knew that I wanted to illustrate this crazy dog that basically causes chaos (not fatal chaos, mind you, but chaos just the same) unintentionally in his joyous pursuit of a renegade bouncing ball.

Really, my issue that I had to work through was the perspective and layout. I wanted the piece to have  context--maybe a tennis player looking on in distress after the ball or a kid running with a broken leash.
I got it down to this sketch and I will soon do a color study in Photoshop (and maybe make some more changes) before painting the final.


No comments:

Post a Comment